The Final Stages

Hi all!

So my current work in progress is coming along. I’m coming up on the final little section. The end is in sight. I can tell what is going to happen, and I even know what the final couple of pages will look like.

What I don’t have is any idea how well all this is going to work. I have about half a dozen things that all have to come together correctly to make this all work. While this was the plan all along (mostly), the timing of everything is critical. If I get something off here, it’ll just drag the story down and make it a boring ending. I really think the editing will be key on this one. I will need to go over it many times to make sure the pacing is right and to make sure all the events get the weight they should get. But once I get to the editing it ought to be fun.

***

Do you prefer that little *** or a — to show a break within a chapter. Like when a bunch of stuff happens, then there is a gap of a few hours, then something else happens and you need to show that these scenes don’t take place in a sequence, but you need them to all be in the same chapter. In this book, since it’s sort of written journal style, that would be all things happen on the same day, just not in the same relative time. I used to use — and some spaces, but now I’m thinking the *** makes more sense.

If you ever get your oil changed at a Walmart, make sure they put the oil plug, cap, and everything else back on correctly. Yeah, seems like something they would obviously do, but apparently they screw it up sometimes. We had our oil changed there late October. We went back to have it changed again this time and they didn’t want to change it because there was no cap and the oil was so low that it didn’t show on the dipstick. And since they were the last to change the oil, it was pretty obviously their technician who didn’t put the cap back on. Sure, I should have checked the oil at least once in that time, and I should have known better than to assume they did things the right way, but I somehow overlooked it.

So yeah, it’s a problem with them.

We got them to go ahead and fill the engine with oil and shove a rag in as a temporary oil cap until we could get to the parts store to buy a new one. The cap only cost $9, but I have concerns about what kind of damage their screw up did to our engine. Thankfully we didn’t hear any weird noises, and the warning lights didn’t come on, so hopefully it didn’t lose too much oil this time. Hope is all we can do.

I like the weather today. I think we should give this warming up thing a try. If we like it, maybe we should see about making this a permanent thing. Maybe we could even work toward something a little warmer. We can only hope.

Have a great weekend!